TOURISM - An International Interdisciplinary Journal
Volume 65 / 2017 / Number 4 ISSN 1332-7461
A cruise line carrier in transition: An exploration of changes in corporate values in an explorer cruise line context
This paper explores corporate values and their changes during stages of development for the prestigious, well-known historic Norwegian Coastal Voyage (Hurtigruten). Adopting a qualitative design, eight service managers were interviewed using in-depth interviews. The findings are organized into three parts: 1. Corporate values from 1950 to 2001, 2. Corporate values from 2001 to 2016 and 3. Corporate values from 2016 (with the introduction of new explorer cruise ships)
The changes in corporate values were observed in seven distinct areas one being service quality issues, another management principles. Based on the findings, this paper offers a typology of corporate values which consists of five categories: economic values, quality values, social values, environmental values and management values. Theoretically, the paper offers a comprehensive service brand model which shows a set of components which may impact corporate values in a service firm during transition, namely Hurtigruten. The originality and value of the research are its contribution to a deep understanding of corporate values and their changes in a firm undergoing a shift in strategic direction. Furthermore, a typology of corporate values emerges from the research, and a model is suggested which enhances our understanding of components which may affect changes in corporate values.
corporate brand; corporate values;; case study research; typology of corporate values; Norwegian Coastal Voyage (Hurtigruten); Norway.
Articles in this issue:
- Measuring service quality in the hotel industry: The value of user generated content (390-405)
- Local survivor vs. global brand: Behavioural intention and brand loyalty tales of fast food restaurants (406-421)
- The influences of destination quality on tourists' destination loyalty: An investigation of an island destination (422-436)
- Tourism development strategies for business tourism destinations: case study in the central region of Portugal (437-449)
- An undervalued department or a terra incognita? Hotel housekeeping from the perspectives of executive housekeepers and room attendants (450-461)
- Brand quality and internationality: Branded global chain hotels (462-470)
- A cruise line carrier in transition: An exploration of changes in corporate values in an explorer cruise line context (471-487)
- Trails for tourism and outdoor recreation: A systematic literature review (488-508)