TOURISM - An International Interdisciplinary Journal
Volume 66 / 2018 / Number 4 ISSN 1332-7461
Geomorphosite assesment in Qeshm Geopark (Iran)
One of the new fields in geosciences and tourism studies is tourism geomorphology or geomorphotourism, which is based on recognition of geomorphosites or specific sites of geomorphology. The purpose of this research was to study the geomorphotourism of Qeshm Geopark. As the first geopark in Iran and in the Middle East, Qeshm Geopark is the final part of the Zagros Mountains. It has valuable geomorphotourism potential which should be studied for its conservation and use of its potential. The assessment method introduced by Kubalíková was used for assessing the geomorphotourism potential of Qeshm Geopark. Also, TCI index was used to assess climatic comfort for tourists.
Seven important geomorphological and geological sites (Chahkuh Valley, Stars Valley, Namakdan, Dulab, Roof of the Qeshm, Tandis-ha valley and Korkorakuh)428 were selected as representatives from East to West of the Qeshm Geopark. The results indicated that Chahkuh Valley, Stars Valley, and Namakdanas well as Dulab, Roof of the Qeshm, Tandis-ha valley and Korkorakuh have the highest and lowest values based on Kubalíková geomorphosite assessment, respectively. The obtained results also demonstrated that winter is the best season for tourism in Qeshm Geopark.
geomorphotourism; geomorphosite; Kubalíková method; TCI; Qeshm Geopark; Iran
Articles in this issue:
- Relationship between destination service quality and tourists' satisfaction in Ikogosi Warm Spring Resort, Nigeria (362-378)
- Better understanding of exchange rate effects in destination marketing: Cases of the Czech Republic and Croatia (379-395)
- No one asks the children, right? (396-410)
- Challenges of branding in post-conflict countries: The case of Bosnia and Herzegovina (411-427)
- Geomorphosite assesment in Qeshm Geopark (Iran) (428-442)
- Tourism potential of libraries (443-460)
- Towards informed and responsible environmental management: A case study of economic valuation of natural resources in Croatia (461-475)
- Financial position of the tour operators in the Slovak Republic (476-479)